|Ricardo Clark celebrates after a goal against Venezuela|
(Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
According to several sources, the Houston Dynamo are close to an agreement with former midfielder Ricardo Clark. Houston is still waiting for Geoff Cameron's transfer to Stoke City to finalize and free up the necessary cap space. Cameron has agreed to terms with the EPL club, but is awaiting a decision on a work permit. The decision is expected around August 3rd.
Jesus Ortiz from the Houston Chronicle is reporting Clark would be signed for somewhere around $300,000 per year. Dynamo President Chris Canetti told Ortiz, "I can confirm we are in pursuit of signing Ricardo Clark."
According to the MLS Players Union, Clark made $248,050 in 2009.
Clark, who left Houston in 2009, officially became a free agent last week when German club Eintracht Frankfurt terminated his contract. Clark was out on loan in Norway playing for last place Stabaek.
Clark was a staple in the Dynamo midfield and was a huge part of the Dynamo championship runs. He may be even more famous and loved for the incident with Carlos Ruiz, who at the time played for much hated FC Dallas. Clark kicked Ruiz following a corner kick and drew what was at the time the longest suspension in MLS history (9 games).
Questions certainly remain about Clark's desire to return to MLS. There have been no reports regarding the player's next move at this time, however Dominic Kinnear said if he was interested in returning, Houston would certainly take a look at the deal.
While playing time may be rewarding to Clark, Stabaek remains at the bottom of the Tippeligaen table and on the surface doesn't look like a fun place to be. Through 15 games, Stabaek has only won two, lost 12 and has a -22 goal differential. The team is certainly headed towards relegation at this point and Clark could be looking to make a move back to the United States where he surely could be a starter.
If Clark is serious about returning to MLS, Houston would have the first opportunity to negotiate with him since they offered him a contract following the 2009 season.
Clark's return would make midfield competition at an all time high. Last season, the Dynamo traded for Adam Moffat and he has become a staple in Clark's old position. Rookie Warren Creavalle has also shined when filling in for Moffat.
One thing is for sure, Houston's goal is to improve the team while they can. Since the transfer deadline passed, the Dynamo can still sign a player who is not in contract with another club. Reports have also surfaced today regarding Honduran Carlo Costly and a return to Houston. I'll keep you posted as news develops.
UPDATE: Ricardo Clark's signing has been made official by the Houston Dynamo. He trained with the club for the first time and will not be able to play until Geoff Cameron's transfer is complete. Cameron is awaiting an appeal for a work permit. The hearing is expected to take place on August 8th. If the permit is received, Clark would be eligible for the New York game on Friday.
Follow me on Twitter @OrangeFanBlog